sending unit help?

i am having so much trouble with my damn sending unit at first it didnt work period and then i took it out and fixed the thing so that it read 3/4 of a tank and it was on E...1/2 of a tank later it doesnt work so i was wondering if there is any thing that i could do to make it work or if i have to get a whole new unit?? i kinda need an answer ASAP thanx guys

likely the rheostat is damaged.

You might be able to get a rebuild kit for it. Which is basically the two wiper arms and maybe a spring or two.

I'm sure that it's probably a GM part with an AMC part number.

if you can't locate a rebuild kit for it, then yes, you have to buy a new sender/fuel pump unit.

alright...is there any way around having to get a whole new unit?

check out the muscle car scene.

I vaguely remember some "universal" senders.

It would be a PITA to get it to read proper, and you'll probaby have to take it apart a few times to bend the float at the right angle, but it would probably be a ton cheaper.

http://www.tperformance.com/street_rod_ ... el_sender/

Before you buy a new sender, pull the old one out of the tank and cycle it through the range of motion with the ignition on and have someone watch the gauge. If the gauge responds normally, the problem isn't the rheostat.

More likely it's that the float doesn't float. I don't know if replacement floats are available. You might be able to fit a Cherokee float to an MJ sender unit, but I don't think the XJ sender is a direct replacement because the depth and shape of the tanks are different.

ok so do i just unhook the power of the pump so that i don't toast it when i turn the ignition on? and then move the float up and down...? alright i will try that and if it is the float i have a whole setup from a cherokee so can i take the little black float and replace it? and thanx for the help! jamminz.gif