Has anyone ever seen one of these?

What are you trying to fix?
That retaining clip is only necessary for the early style (84-87?) Speedometer cables. There’s a metal lip on the cable that catches the clip and holds in places
As I recall I updated the cable to the newer style that stays in place without clip on the speedometer, there’s a plastic catch on the end of the cable instead.

while using the old style cluster with clip like you have there i just pushed the new cable on. In other words even if the clip on the speedometer I believe you can just push the cable in place as your reinstalling and it should stay there just from the spacing behind the dash and screws holding the cluster in place. Of course this is based on vague memories from 20 years ago. I later updated the cluster to a 88-90 cluster with tach because I couldn’t find a good printed circuit for the 84-87 cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is the clip on the cluster or on the speedometer cable for your MJ? As far a I know it should be the same got XJ and mj except for the cable design change 1987(?)

In a old thread here I posted some pictures of what my old XJ . I’ll see if I can find it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro