Need help with starter issue

Hey guys

I am really stuck on a problem.

It started last night, drove the car fine all day, multiple starts and stops. Pull over at work to get something, come out 5 min later, no crank, no ignition, nothing. Charged the battery the night before, so I know thats good. At last I found a 40 amp fuse thats inline on a green cable to the positive nut on the starter relay. Thats the culprit. It keeps going, its fine as long as I turn ignition on, but when I turn to crank it blows. Took out the starter today thinking it might be the solenoid thats shorted. Cleaned everything and tested it with jumper cables. Works great. Put it back togheter, ones again the fuse blows. One thing ive noticed is that the fuelpump don't come on when I turn the key? Another symptom that Ive had for a while (or at least 6 months) is that whenever i crank the engine the starter moves then has a hiccup, it stops for half a scond then moves again. I was thinking it might be the starter giving up, but it tested out fine, unloaded though.

Now I'm thinking its something with the cables from the steering column?

Or could it be that the starter relay is bad. Did test continuity on the relay, all connections seem fine, plus, negative, fuel ballast aso. One thing i noticed was that i get contiuity from the plus nut to ground on battery, is that normal?

Sorry for the long post, really don't know where to go from here.

/mathias

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Thank cruiser, I was hoping you had some insight
Yes, was a lot of oil on it. Should I take it out again and check how much it draws? Can I open it up and clean it?

A thought tho. The fuse is on what I suspect the signal cable from the starter relay to the solenoid. You mean it draws from there? because there is no fuse on the cable from the battery to the solenoid.
/mathias

• 1 month later...

Ok, after having changed the starter and put in a new battery the problem seemed to have gone away....so I thought. Until today, once again the fuse blew. This time I put in a new one and it blew right away. Short to ground was my thought and very much so, the positive nut on the starter relay was shorted to ground. Took off all of the wires and tested them one and one. Narrowed it down to one of the green fusable links. Now I'm not very good att reading the electric charts, and my cable finder don't want to send a signal anymore!?

If anyone know where the the green fusable link with three red wires coming in to it goes, its the only link that has three red ones going in to it.

This is the culprit, one of these red ones is shortet to ground, it seems intermittant since if I check contituity from the fusable link to ground, it don't send a tone all the time but gives 130 on the multimeter.

Got a really blurry picture of it but like I said, its the only one with three red ones connected to it.

If anyone know where these three go, it woud be much appriciated.

/
Mathias
832dcdc814e79af19bf189fc63a72eec.heic

And according to this pic
cdeb64a7575e9167b983b60670042f8b.png
The ETR is radio and clock.

Eng comp lights have never worked, I have no fog lights, and I can live without the clock and radio.

Now, beeing a noob at this, is it safe to just unhook these three wires and try to see if the problem goes away?

/Mathias

Well, In lack of other ideas I thought I would take a look at the ignition switch. And of course that was the problem, probobly from the beginning.
The brown wire was all burned and corroded.
Bought a new one for 20 bucks and voila, she lives again. And I even got the acc mode working aswell. Should have looked there in the first place I think.....