02 KJ help needed

mjeff87

Sir Sam, Pete, Pat.......anybody with KJ knowledge....I needs some help please.

One of the few things that bug the crap out of me on my KJ is the "rolling door locks".  When I hit 15 mph all the doors and rear gate locks lock.  Some idiot engineer needs shot for coming up with this brilliant idea:brickwall:

On the late production 02's and from there on up, you can disable this function via the overhead EVIC console, but lucky me has the Stone Age OTIS console that is dumb and can't control that.  Reading up on the internets (and there is a woefully huge lack of good tech forums for KJ's), the dealership can disable the rolling locks with a scan tool or some such.  My local dealers service writer looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked him if they could fix this for me.  Color me surprised, lol.

Is there any way I can disable them on my own, or short of that, what are the magic words I need to say to the dealership to get them to do it?  I don't mind paying an hour of labor time to the dealership to do this...I hate it that bad.

TIA,

Jeff

Grab an evic from a similar year wj and install it.  You'll be able to set it.

Let me look @ the partpart number of the one I put in my kj to get you the correct one that is compatible.

Mine has rolling locks, headlamp flash with remote lock/unlock, chime for same as well as fuel, and remote learning to program more remotes.  There's a few options there that I'm missing. 

There is no other method to accomplish this other than a drb3 scanner.

Really?  Holy %*#!, I can't believe it's that simple.

thanks man.....any part #'s you can provide would be great:beerchug:

i don't need need any other function other than being able to disable the rolling locks, but I'll take what I can get.

I found a good writeup online that has the EVIC part numbers for WJ's from 1999-2004.  My KJ has the Homelink in it, so it looks like I need to find any one of the following:

1999-2000 : 56042271AD (which superseded 56042271AB and 56042271AC)

2001:  56042749AB (which superseded 56042749AA)

2002:  56042749AF (which superseded 56042749AE)

2003:  56042749AH (replaced 56042749AG)  ***2003 models do not have the instant MPG display, which I don't use anyway

2004: 56042749AJ

Any problem with using a different year unit in my 2002 if that's all I can find?   I wouldn't think so, but.....

Success, then failure.  Grabbed a new EVIC from the yard today from an 02 WJ (56042749AF).....got it all swapped in (had to trim the headliner a bit) ans the rolling locks STILL function, even after I set the auto-lock to NO with it.

I'm just gonna go to another dealership to see if their service department can disable it with a scan tool.  Damnit.

Can you explain that a bit more?  I fiddled around with it for a couple hours yesterday (along with getting the Homelink button to play nice with my GDO).  It did work correctly the very first time I drove after installing, and I was tickled pink.  But, thereafter, every time I started it up and drove the locks auto-locked promptly at 20 mph:brickwall:

Thanks!

Just an FYI.....I threw in the towel on this and took my KJ to the dealership.  Talked with the senior tech there yesterday who actually knew what he was doing, said he might have to call FCA while he had it hooked up to his scan tool and might not be able to override the code.  Dropped it off this morning at 0800, they called me back at 0900 and said it was done:L:

Now I just have to go pick it up and see how much they're charging me, LOL.  I'm just happy I don't have to deal with the stupid automatic locks ever again.

edit:  1 hour labor ($76), plus 10% "shop supplies" fee LOL.  It stings a little, but for me it was totally worth it.