Why Yes, This IS Another CKPS Question

1988 Jeep Comanche 4.0 AW4:

My truck died abruptly in the middle of traffic yesterday morning and then would not fire no matter how much I cranked it over. After work, I went to Autobone and bought a new crankshaft position sensor (Per my research it appears as though I should have went to the dealership instead and bought an OEM sensor which is what I may end up doing.)

After installing the new sensor my truck fired up instantly. I took it once around the block and then figured all was well. Today, I drove my truck to work and it started miss-firing, jerking, sputtering and wanting to die when idling. I had to keep my foot on the gas so it wouldn't conk out. I have a Renix Engine Management unit plugged in and I noticed the ignition timing was sporadic, jumping from 14 to 20 degrees and every number in between when idling at red lights. Does this sound like a bad sensor out of the box? Did I get boned by Autobone?

I would check your idle air control valve (this controls how much air the intake gets while at idle) and your TPS (this controls the amount of fuel at all times your injectors give). There are many things on the renix 4.0 that can cause rough idle. A bad o2 sensor (if not getting power to heat element), a vacuum leak, for sure check vacuum line from throttle body to your map sensor.

Make sure to do the cruiser tips.

I my self have never had a cps do what your explaining. For me it works or it doesn't.

17 hours ago, Eagle said:

Someone just recently posted a similar discussion. His issue, after messing with CPS replacements, turned out to be the distributor sensor.

Found it:

Thanks Eagle- Just ordered a new dizzy sensor along with a Mopar CKPS. Going to pick up a new cap & rotor and ignition coil as well. I will start swapping the new parts and seeing which of these fixes it. I will update this when/if I fix the truck.