automatic/pilot bearing

I am swaping a 4.0 out of a manual trans with the pilot bearing into a XJ with a automatic. The torque converter has a nub coming out of the center and i am wondering if i have to remove the pilot bearing and spacer to get the AW4's torque converter to mate up to the 4.0 with the bearing still in the crank or if it will fit even with the bearing in there?

Well the automatic don't use a pilot bearing but it has a stickout on the converter that looks like it might end up where the bearing is at now so i don't know if i need to pull it out or not

Edit:

Ok, I see, the 4.0 had a manual tranny and still has the pilot bearing.

Yep! lol

we swapped in a 4.0 to my bro's truck that came from a manual and we had to pull the bearing but didnt have to put one on (out of a BA10 truck into an AW4 truck)

Thanks thats the info i was looking for! i kind of figured it was going to have to come out now i have to drill and tap holes in thes spacer to pull the bugger out.

we swapped in a 4.0 to my bro's truck that came from a manual and we had to pull the bearing but didnt have to put one on (out of a BA10 truck into an AW4 truck)

Thanks thats the info i was looking for! i kind of figured it was going to have to come out now i have to drill and tap holes in thes spacer to pull the bugger out.

we rented a pilot bearing puller from the auto parts store... you pay deposit, pull bearing... return tool, they give you back ALL your money 8)