head gasket replacement

Hi everyone! I'm about to replace the head gasket on my 87 jeep mj. Its a 4.0 liter 2wd 5spd w/138k. Its a northeastern US truck so rusted she be. I would appreiciate any tips anyone has as it looks pretty straight forward but i never done one on a jeep before.

When you have the head off, be sure to degrease it thoroughly and get rid of any baked on oil sludge. You didn't mention it, but taking it to a shop and having it hot tanked and then checked for flatness is a good idea. Don't let them cut it too much, though, or you'll raise the compression ratio and then you'll need to do a rough combustion chamber cc'ing to get the compression back down to regular gas territory.

Also be sure to clean the emissions tube (CCV system) ports in the valve cover. Much of the cause for the 4.0L's notorious blow-by is that the ports in the valve cover get clogged with oil residue. You can buy the tubes from NAPA for about half the price a dealer will charge you.

thanks guys. I'm also noticing my oil patch seems to be getting bigger hope replacing valve cover gasket takes care of that.I'm also realizing my project comanche isnt getting any attention lately and reluctantly must give up on it :cry: I picked up these two MJ's hoping to make 1 since only 1 has a title. Thats a black 1988 4cyl 5speed 2wd w/101461 miles with a grey interior, tinted windows and a sunroof that doesnt leak! The red one has no title and is a 1989 4spd 4cyl 2wd with 135377 miles and a cream interior.there are varius parts and pieces in each that i will list if requested. I'll try and post pictures of all. ;)

is the sunroof a factory piece?

if so, I call dibs if/when you ever sell that.

I'd love to have spare glass for mine, but it seems that when you ask a glass shop for the sunroof glass in an 87 comanche they just look at you.