AX-15 New Clutch issues

Ok, I lost 1st so I decided it was time to update to an external slave setup.  After getting a junkyark AX-15 out of a '96 XJ I rebuilt it, installed with a new clutch/pressure plate, external slave, new master cylinder (as mine was leaking) and reused the line from the JY parts I pulled.  Also new flywheel (for a '92 Jeep MJ).

My issue is:  In 1st and reverse gears, my clutch is slipping and I can smell it burning immediately after I stop.  2nd-5th seem ok, although I haven't gone to a parking lot yet and "punched it" in 3rd or 4th to see if the rpms raise without the speed doing the same.

Any ideas as to what it could be?  I pre-bled the master/slave setup before I installed it and have only driven maybe 20 miles with it so far (to work and back).  Pedal feels ok, engage might be a little high, might not be (close to the top of the stroke, usually when I replace a clutch in vehicles it moves down to the floor).  I can drive it right now, I was planning on putting 50-100 miles on the clutch and see if it "seats" but I've never had a vehicle do this to me before.

Summary:

New:

External slave

Master Cylinder

Clutch pressure plate

Clutch friction disc

throw out bearing

pilot bearing

flywheel

rebuilt tranny

Old:

Master cylinder/slave line

Transfer case

Rest of truck pretty much

Seems like the clutch is settling in, 1st gear is much better than before.  Reverse is still a little funny, esp if the wheels are turned.  Is it possible my front axle is locking up on me?  I have a Dana 30 HP up front, I don't believe it's a vacuum disconnect (has a single rubber line running to it that has a vent on it).

Seems like the clutch is settling in, 1st gear is much better than before.  Reverse is still a little funny, esp if the wheels are turned.  Is it possible my front axle is locking up on me?  I have a Dana 30 HP up front, I don't believe it's a vacuum disconnect (has a single rubber line running to it that has a vent on it).

NVM....just realized I was driving around in 4-hi and not 2-HI.  Jeep has a different shift pattern than my Chevy    :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:

Ehh, it's not uncommon to have them slip at first while they "set". We used to take customers cars out to the parking lot and do a lot of takeoffs after a clutch job just to work out any little imperfections and limit chatter due to the new surfaces meeting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk