Flatbed

I was wondering if there was a thread or a write up on making my MJ a flatbed. It really is eat up bad with rust. Not real concerned with putting another one on it cause it's going to just get beat up again.

Any help is appreciated, I searched with the search engine on here and a few threads came up but none were flatbeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first? build thread shows how I made the one in my avatar.  Disclaimer, I was pretty hack then, it was a long time ago...

Honestly, it's not hard to build, I think I looked at some guys who made one for a Cheby truck and just went for it...  The mount points on the MJ are all level and parallel, IIRC, so it's even easier than most vehicles.

Decide what features you want (fixed or removable sides, integrated roll bar, headache rack, tie-down points, stake pockets, etc) and what material you want to use (aluminum, steel, wood, mixed, etc), bust out the tapemeasure, pen, and paper, and draw something up and ask opinions.

If you plan to wheel it I would shy away from a true flatdeck and build wheel wells into it, like the one I made.  Alternatively, if you want it all flat, I'd build wheelwells and put a pull out drawer down the center or something of that nature.  Otherwise it's a bit of a wasteful design as the deck height has to be quite high to allow for adequate wheel travel.

Thank you sir! I'll look through your build thread once I get to a computer.

It was 12? years ago...  Not sure how easy it is to even find. :rotf:   I'll look for a link for you...

Edit, looks like before I was a member here?  Or posted much here?

Link here has some discussion of beds and stuff, and I made some comments:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/12297-damaged-box-need-advice/?hl=flatdeck&do=findComment&comment=121120

And pictures from when I finished it?  No idea if there's other pictures:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/954-got-flatbed/?hl=flatbed

Long time ago...  Miss that truck.  I just realized I still have the plates hanging on the wall though. . :MJ 1: .

It happens, no worries. There was a thread on pirate that caught my eye. I want to be cool, I think it was. I'll see if there are any helpful hints there. I like the engine swap ideas here!

That and Dana 44's will do nicely.