Need wiring help. 1979 Suzuki sp370.

ride172

The problem I'm having is with the headlight. The motorcycle is 6volt and has points. It has a small 6v battery that isn't required for the bike to run. The headlight worked fine before I tore it apart to wire up turn signals. I plugged it back in and it no longer lights up. The tail light still works as it should. One other thing I noticed is now the neutral indicator only works when the lighting switch is on. The battery has gone dead from leaving the key on while troubleshooting with my volt meter. I don't have a 6v charger and the motorcycle hasn't been charging the battery since the headlight stopped working. Maybe the headlight gets power first and is line with the battery. The headlight used to come on if the motorcycle was running independent from the light switch. I have Googled myself looney. The only wiring diagram I have come up with is for a different bike but lines up ok with my wiring. I don't know enough about wiring to get this done myself. I have checked all the connections and cleaned grounds. The bike has a rectifier and a signal flaher on it. I don't know what a rectifier does or how to test it. Any help is appreciated. I'm really hoping someone knows an easy way to troubleshoot this problem. My wife is starting to tell me "you'll never get that piece of ***t figured out."

So here is what I found. I got a 6v battery charger and found out my little battery is no good. Won't hold more than 3v. I tested the bulb socket with the charger hooked up and couldn't get anything. I could get 6.4v at the taillight and neutral light. Then I downloaded the factory manual and started reading. The voltsge regulator failing will cause the power from the magneto to go through the light switch and then back through the failed regulator to ground. I tested the regulator with my harbor freight red meter and couldn't get a consistent ohm reading. It was supposed to be 80k ohms. I was getting really low readings and nothing the same. So I'm off to O'Reillys to get a new meter. Looks like a regulator that will slide in with no mods is not going to be in my future. I'll update when I find out more. Thanks again.