James $400 Comanche

Haficon

Hello,

First post so this is my introduction, new to the Comanche group I always wanted one and of course I had to pick the worst model ever made. 1986 2.8L V6 Manual Long wheel base. Truck is in great shape the current, well previous owner now just replaced the fuel tank, carburetor, fuel lines, all brake lines and hoses also the timing chain was just changed. Truck runs and will drive as soon as I replaced the front calipers it sat through the winter and they seized up. The fenders have been chopped, I really don't care about that because I want to do a front clip conversion. I really like the 2000ish cherokee front clips I was told it will bolt right, I'm on not sure gonna do some research on that maybe someone here can help me with that. The interior is pretty ruff I think I want to put it back to fully stock. Other big plan (next summer) is a frame chop make it a SWB and maybe build a flat bed I do not know about that yet... Seeing how the 2.8L has had some money put into it and it runs like a champ I think I will keep it around till it dies or I find a better option. I know the 4.0L swap requires a firewall modification (1986 models) that is no problem, but I am goign to do some research because in the picture below there is a 4x4 2001 Chevy Blazer/or GMC Jimmy not sure which one never looked that hard, but it has 4.3L Vortec, Manual. Same guys owns it that had the Comanche and he said I can have it for $300 so depending on the difficulty of a full swap I might buy it to and strip it down for a donor drive train. 

What helps as well is the guy who owned the Comanche runs a very nice welding shop and has been working with me honing in some metal fab skills. I just got done building an Expo. trailer for my JKU. The shop next door builds driveshafts so I think I am equipped to handle a full on drivetrain swap out. I know the 3.2L is a direct bolt in but I really do not want to go that route.

Only picture I have right now:

Maybe I will see... My brother has a complete Cherokee back in Alabama he did a 4.0L HO swap on. If I would get it up here for a reasonable price it would be a great donor for a 4.0 swap. But first thing is get this back on the road. The find out what axles and gears it has. I am thinking some 32" tires maybe Duratrac's need something good in the snow. Hope to have plates on it within 2 weeks.

Truck is no where near what I expected looks like I have a good bit of metal fab and welding to do. Already have new springs and shocks they came with the truck. onna start knocking out the floor pans and do some serious rust repair, replace both front fenders, hood, grill. The bed sa also been chopped in the fender wells trying to get a new bed is gonna be next to impossible I do not know what I will do about that yet.

Got the brakes free so it will move, engine runs really good, interior is not as bad as I though.

First thing was to remove the small basketball size Yellow Jacket nest.

After a disappointing evening of dealing with real rust, striped bolts I made no progress going to go back this evening try to get the calipers and caliper brackets off.

passenger side floor no as SOLID as it was explained but is what it is.

Wiring for the lights on the front end....

Like I said not what I expected. Truck was going for $400 cash and a trade of a used tool. Turns out the used tool has been used up so I am gonna wind up paying the full $800 for the truck. But it runs really good, interior is manageable, 4wd works. I can do all the metal repair and welding. Guess we will see where this project goes.... 

This truck has given me a real taste of the north east.. I did some patch work to the exhaust but it was no good gonna toss in some flex pipe then ordering the pipe assembly from the manifolds back...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

​Other than the exhaust leak truck is running better, did sea foam in the vacuum system and gas it certainly starts up better. 

Well the Y Pipe is no longer made.. No vendore have one in stock seems the company Walker exhaust makes it as a dual system now.

Y pipe that is no longer made:
Image Not Found

New style piping, all said and done less than $100 for both pipes.
Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I do like the newer style so if it gets damaged it is much cheaper to replace.

• 3 weeks later...

Well all the exhaust pipes were wrong. Going to try one more option before I opt out to have one built. Been messing around with the old truck engine runs great once it is warm. Starting is a little ruff it requires a little help. Just a bottle cap full of gas in the carb and it will fire right up, hold the accelerator peddle for a few minutes then it will idle with out assistance. I have to look at the carburator linkage see if anything needs adjustment. Also got to toss in a new fuel filter.

Broke an exhaunt manifold bolt off in the head, then a drill bit off in the bolt, then and easy out off in the bolt.... Long day but I dremeled it all out cleaned up the threads and am ready to be done with that project. Hopefully the exhaust downpipe I ordered will work.