transmission installation guide pins

My biggest challenge with a transmission removal / install is getting the transmission input shaft to line up with the pilot bushiing and slide all the way in. It may be harder since I am using a pilot bushing vs. the majority with the more inset bearings but I thought I would post up a trick that allowed me to quickly reinstall the transmission last night. 

12" 7/16 and 6" 3/8 all thread, screwed in hand tight to the bell housing for use as alignment guides. I wish I had taken a pic of them in the bellhousing. the 7/16 go in the holes on the side of the engine and the 3/8 goes in place of the top bolts. Be careful not to put weight on the rods, especially when you are far out on the 7/16 because you might damage the threads in the engine. I was amazed at how smoothly the tranny slid right into home without all the drama that I usually experience.

0711151233.jpg

• 1 month later...

I agree the top ones are the most helpful but having the longer ones sticking out of the sides helps to set the approach angle.

As many times as I've had to pull my transmission out to tinker I've daydreamed about setting up a DZUs fastener type setup for quick bolt/unbolting of the bell housing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good idea on the alignment spikes!

When I pull my ax-15 to do the bearings and synchros I'll try this,

I usually run a bar across my trans tunnel and use 3 ratchet straps to raise and align the transmission,

10" of lift and 40's mean you have to bench it pretty high

The two methods combined should work slick!