truck died

so, the 3800 is...not good.

There is a bad connection on the coil packs, and no matter what I do to the connectors, it won't work...gonna have to get a new ICM for the coil packs I guess, as the connector looks great. this connection controls the fuel pump while cranking and running, as well as sending power to all the other sensors...without it, nothing will work.

it has a bad main bearing on the crankshaft I believe....making some oscellating noises :nuts:

and the input shaft bearing on the tranny is shot....at about 370,000 on a ax5 tranny (has been in 2 jeeps prior to mine), as well as the t-case being loose and the chain skips, 2nd gear syncro is going bad too.

aaaand my front axle spiders are probably shot..., not to mention that it's bent

sooo i guess i gotta fix the connection and drive it til the engine dies. hopefully it's just the input shaft on the tranny making the noise. I have a new transmission anyways for it, and an np231 t-case.

The AX5 in my MJ is about in the same shape as yours. It's got over 210K on it, and it sounds like a can of marbles in anything over 2nd gear, especially when coasting. But, it still pulls fine (knocks on wood). I just picked up another one from UNL1MTD last week that I'm going to clean up and swap in, sometime....

Jeff

yep, 2nd gear went....and took 3rd with it. i can still shove it into 3rd and sorta into second...and i don't have time to fix it til next week so i'm driving it as it is.

I ordered a syncro kit for the ax5 that's coming out of project tatersalad, so those will be new. while i have it apart I will also be checking out bearings and such, but they should all be good. already got the front and rear seals and I have the np231 apart on the bench right now...screw the 207 they suck.

I'm not sure who did this on here, but part of this project is going to be welding up a bracket that bolts to the tranny and holds the 4wd shifter linkage pivot to the tranny...so that i don't have to angle it in or out during a crossmember drop or re-install. that's something i'm gonna do on all the MJ's from now on...it's more convenient if ya gotta drop it on the trail from t-case failure or something.

oh, it runs now too. the female connector pins were ovaled out a bit...so i squared them back off and it works.

yay