Transfer case grinding noise

I have a 1986 XLS (107,000) with a transfer case that will not work. The high low lever will not engage. I can move the vacum switch from 2wd to 4wd but then when I shift into drive or reverse it makes a huge amount of grinding noise. Any ideas what it could be or how to fix?

I have a 1986 XLS (107,000) with a transfer case that will not work. The high low lever will not engage. I can move the vacum switch from 2wd to 4wd but then when I shift into drive or reverse it makes a huge amount of grinding noise. Any ideas what it could be or how to fix?

first, you have an np242 since it's selec-trac. I'm pretty sure that's the only one selec-trac had.

second, you are either A. low on fluid, B have a connection problem on your shift linkages, or C have a junk t-case.

I opt for C.

not a 242, but a 228/229....old school Selectrac.

Sounds like the linkage is out of adjustment. There is an adjustment procedure, but I'm not familiar with it. The vaccuum switch is actually what engages the case, not the lever, which only selects the range (H or L). I'd start by checking the vac line to see if there's any leaks, and once you've confirmed that, I'd check the diapragm attached to the case to make sure it's functioning correctly. If it is, then check the adjustment per the manual.

HTH,

Jeff