How to test starter relay?

The other day my manche died electrically on me while on the road (radio off, etc). Nothing would happen when turning the key. After wiggling some wires around the starter relay, I got it started and limped it home.

I took all the wires off of that relay, cleaned them, replaced one connector, and applied dielectric grease. I put the thing back together, and it doesn't even try to fire the starter.

I can see all the fusable links are still in tact, so I'm suspicious of the starter relay itself. Does anyone know how to test one?

Advance doesn't carry the part, but I found it at Rock Auto. I don't want to order one if I don't need it though. Its gonna cost me $40.

The other day my manche died electrically on me while on the road (radio off, etc). Nothing would happen when turning the key. After wiggling some wires around the starter relay, I got it started and limped it home.

I took all the wires off of that relay, cleaned them, replaced one connector, and applied dielectric grease. I put the thing back together, and it doesn't even try to fire the starter.

I can see all the fusable links are still in tact, so I'm suspicious of the starter relay itself. Does anyone know how to test one?

Advance doesn't carry the part, but I found it at Rock Auto. I don't want to order one if I don't need it though. Its gonna cost me $40.

you put the connector wires on wrong most likely...

make sure they're right.

Pretty simple test. Despite the amperage of the starter, the circuit still only carries 12 volts. Hook the hot lead of a test light to the OUTPUT terminal of the relay (the one where the wire to the starter motor connects), and connect the ground from the test light to a good ground.

Have a helper turn the key to the START position.

If the test light lights, the relay is making a circuit. If the test light doesn't light ... it isn't.

Pretty simple test. Despite the amperage of the starter, the circuit still only carries 12 volts. Hook the hot lead of a test light to the OUTPUT terminal of the relay (the one where the wire to the starter motor connects), and connect the ground from the test light to a good ground.

Have a helper turn the key to the START position.

If the test light lights, the relay is making a circuit. If the test light doesn't light ... it isn't.

Thanks!

I bought a starter relay for $8 at Autozone for my 89 XJ, the relay for your MJ should be the same... just take yours when you go cause they don't list them correctly & you need to physically compare to be sure you got the right one.