Replacing fuse block?

Is there any type of "easier" way to do this? I think my clutch MC has been dripping on it, or it was at one time, and I think I've got a windshield leak in about the same location. I pulled a fuse block from the junkyard, same year, engine, options, etc. and I cut all of those wires, so I've got about 3" of each to play with. I'm figuring I'll have to solder everthing together right? Or is there an easier way?

if going through all the trouble, why not upgrade to an HO underhood PDC.

I've got a 94 PDC sitting in my office, waiting to go under the hood.

Most of what's in the interior fuse block will get moved out there, and what's left could easily be handled by some hot rod wire harness parts.

There is one other but more expensive way to fix it. Take it to an automotive electrical shop and let them do it.

When my dad bought the MJ I wasn't old enough to drive and he was working overseas. In fact we dropped the truck off at the shop on the way to the airport this is where we were enlightened as to some of the XJ/MJ inherent problems:

Windshield will leak, leak will drain into fuse block.

Cluth master will leak, leak will drain into fuse block.

Result many electrical problems sometimes followed by fire.

Solution fix fuse block by replacing with new block and splicing all wires in harness followed by replacing windsheild and or master cylinder whichever has the most significant leak at the moment.

As a maintenance precaution I now clean all of the fuse block terminals with electrical spray cleaner at least once a year just to make sure everything is ok and no new leaks have developed.

Normally my dad would have done this himself but do to the time constraints and needing to have the truck running he took it to friend and it still cost $450 but they also rewired the tailights and the rest of the rear harness that the PO had butchered.

There is one other but more expensive way to fix it. Take it to an automotive electrical shop and let them do it.

When my dad bought the MJ I wasn't old enough to drive and he was working overseas. In fact we dropped the truck off at the shop on the way to the airport this is where we were enlightened as to some of the XJ/MJ inherent problems:

Windshield will leak, leak will drain into fuse block.

Cluth master will leak, leak will drain into fuse block.

Result many electrical problems sometimes followed by fire.

Solution fix fuse block by replacing with new block and splicing all wires in harness followed by replacing windsheild and or master cylinder whichever has the most significant leak at the moment.

As a maintenance precaution I now clean all of the fuse block terminals with electrical spray cleaner at least once a year just to make sure everything is ok and no new leaks have developed.

Normally my dad would have done this himself but do to the time constraints and needing to have the truck running he took it to friend and it still cost $450 but they also rewired the tailights and the rest of the rear harness that the PO had butchered.

Considering how time intensive that operation is (I've rewired half the MJ since the PO butchered under my dashboard) $450 doesn't sound bad at all.

see, then you have to completely redo your wiring. whereas at least this way you just have to connect the correct color to the correct color.

I would much rather do paint by numbers than make a picasso

I'm an artist!

seriously though. I've got to rewire the majority of the MJ anyway, I hate fusible links, and I'm going to use the extra spaces in the PDC to power auxilarry stuff, so I can just have the mains lead on the battery posts, instead of all the power take offs that are on it now.

it all makes sense in my head.

I'm trying not to do the same thing right now. Brake fluid all over fuse block...pretty nasty. Just replaced the MC, all of the fuses crumbled to pieces as I pulled them. After half a can of ectrical contact cleaner spray and a brass toothbrush it doesn't look too bad. I'll finish cleaning it Sunday and get the new fuses in and cross my fingers. I really don't want to rewire that thing.

I'm trying not to do the same thing right now. Brake fluid all over fuse block...pretty nasty. Just replaced the MC, all of the fuses crumbled to pieces as I pulled them. After half a can of ectrical contact cleaner spray and a brass toothbrush it doesn't look too bad. I'll finish cleaning it Sunday and get the new fuses in and cross my fingers. I really don't want to rewire that thing.

that's what I did after my master leaked all over mine.

There have been a few lingering issues from it, but overall it's been better than I expected for the last year.

My dad wanted to save the fuse block but it already had damage and the PO had some local garage get the signals working for the state inspection and it was a mess (turn siganl/no dash or fuel gauge or vice versa) they had spliced into the wires everywhere to try to get things working - it never pays to shortcut any job - you always have to go back and fix it right.

I have the same problems. On mine, the PO , well, I don't know WHAT the PO did. Now, my blinkers don't work, windshield wipers, horn, lighter, either. when I put on the brakes, the blinker indicator lights, on the dash light up. Interior lights don't work at all, unless you turn the headlight knob all the way to the left.

Anyone have any Ideas about this "Gem" of a problem?

I'm fixing to take the fuse panel out, clean it(with a wire brush, and contact cleaner), check to see what the wires look like behind there, put it back in. I know this won't fix the wireing mix up, but, maybe it will help my wiper/blinker problem......................

John

my 86 beater had the brake = turn signal lights on problem.

I've decided to junk it cause it isn't worth my time (rust was the problem, wiring just an add-on)

make sure that if you are cleaning your old fusebox, that you unscrew it and clean the wires and connectors on the BACK of it

I have the same problems. On mine, the PO , well, I don't know WHAT the PO did. Now, my blinkers don't work, windshield wipers, horn, lighter, either. when I put on the brakes, the blinker indicator lights, on the dash light up. Interior lights don't work at all, unless you turn the headlight knob all the way to the left.

Anyone have any Ideas about this "Gem" of a problem?

I'm fixing to take the fuse panel out, clean it(with a wire brush, and contact cleaner), check to see what the wires look like behind there, put it back in. I know this won't fix the wireing mix up, but, maybe it will help my wiper/blinker problem......................

John

John, check that your front light sockets are grounding properly, and that they haven't somehow crossed your hazard circuit into the mix at the rear.

I had very similar things happening in my 87 when I bought it.

Turns ou the grounds in the front sockets were shot.