Shock bushings/sleeves

I ordered a set of Trailmaster SSV shocks for my Chief this week, mostly cause I got them from Quadratec, and I can get stuff from them day after I order. Here's the problem. On the rear shocks, the top sleeve ID is way too small for the MJ upper mount. Can I press out the sleeve and just run the poly bushing on the mount? I'm running into the same problem with the fronts, just on the bottom mounts. I ordered the JKS BPE's, which would also require me to press out the sleeves for the JKS bar to fit. Will I be okay to run these without a sleeve if the bar/bolt fits snug? I'm hoping to run this on the road, it's not just a trail vehicle.

I've got Gabriel something-or-others on mine and am running sleeveless. They came with lower sleeves, but they were too small to fit so I chucked them. Although it may not be correct, there've been no problems here....

Jeff

The sleeves are used for a different application. One that utalizes a bolt to attach the shock. MJ's use a stud and do not need the sleeve.

Some press out some don't!!! I bought a couple sets of poly bushings form energy suspention and Rancho. Pressed out the entire bushing and sleeve and reinserted the new one.

CW

Well, I figured out what my options were and I got it all solved. I ended up pressing out the sleeves on the bottom of the front shocks, and the BPE's slid right in, perfect. In the rear bottom, I had to have a machine shop press out the old bushings and press in the new ones. They charged me $60! That was a bit more than I was expecting. I welded on new shock mounts on the axle, which utilize a bolt as the mount so I had to go with the smaller bushing and sleeve. For the uppers, with the sleeve out it was too loose on the stud, so I went to Grainger and had them look up large roll pins or something to replace my sleeves. No go on that, but he did find me an engine bearing sleeve that was the right ID and OD, so that worked. The whole thing was a lot more of a PITA than I expected, but it's a Jeep, so I shoulda seen that coming........ 8)

$60 bucks to press out bushings!!!! :eek: Fawk that!!!! You go hosed BIG time!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

The bushings I recomended above where about $8 and once I got the right combo of sockets and my vice about 5-10 mins work each end, and I was done!! That was with glued in bushings!!!! Pressing back in was a C clamp, shot of white lithium grease and 10-15 seconds!!!

There are different sized bushings, generally 5/8" "hourglass" is the right size.

Sorry for you difficulties...I really feel for ya!!

CW