heat / no-heat

I have an 86 Comanche 2.5 5 speed, with a/c, I just got it running after about a year sitting, everything is running great, but I have an issue with the heat. at mfirst the heat seemed to be on all the time, then I found a vacumn line off and once I put it back on, the heat then stopped, now I have good control over the vents, it will do defrost, heat, vent and a/c but the heat will never come on. I'm thinking it's the heater valve?

The heater control valve is vacuum actuated, so what you've done would've helped in its workings, but the vacuum portion of things could still be the problem.

You can remove the valve from the firewall and if you suck on th vacuum line on the valve, you should hear the valve inside open and close. If you can't get it to function by sucking on it, it may need replacing.

I haven't tried it, but you may be able to leave it attached to the firewall, attach a vacuum line onto the valve and suck on the line. That way you won't spill antifreeze everywhere and you'll save a bit of time.