New here .Steering, AND seats

Hello, I'm new here, so I'll probaly be asking several dumb question's. like one for example: what does "MJ" and "XJ" stand for?

Anyway, My steering box. Someone told me that it was in the "knuckle". I have ALOT of play in there, and they told me the U-joint or knuckle, was gone. also, i was reading this page earlier, and saw where someone's would'nt return to center after releasing the wheel, while in a curve. Mine, when I (if I) let go of the steering wheel, in a curve, my truck will just act as if I'm still steering it thru the curve, it will not return to center.

I have wireing problems, seat questions, like, i would love to have a picture of an interior of a 1989 Jeep comanche. its a 6 cyl. 2 wheel drive, fuel inj. 5 speed. But, I can tell, that the console, and seat's, are NOT origional. There's bench seat's in there, but I want bucket!

Beside's all that, i love working on it, just bought it, but to be honest, it's driving me a little wacky, can anyone please help?

I'll cut and paste from the other thread.

XJ=Cherokee

MJ=Comanche

MJ and XJs are the same from the seats forward, so cherokees are a good place for parts.

To answer your questions:

The steering box is mounted to the frame rail, drivers side, right behind the bumper and below the radiator.

If someone has told you it's loose in the knuckle that's on the axle.

it could be balljoints or the unit bearing. You'll have to jack up each side and push/pull/lever against it to see where the movement is,.

Your steering symptoms could be just from a poor alignment, caster is a key part in this.

Check all the front end parts and then go from there. If you need more help, start a new thread, we'll need all the info about your MJ.

Year, motor, trans, 4wd or not.

OK .I'll have to do this, what you say, this weekend. It's just gonna take me fixing one little problem at a time, not that there really is a lot of problem's . I'm VERY happy with my Comanche. and working on it is not an agrivation, it's a hobbie, sort of. like the seats, and console. just cosmetic stuff. the only mech. problem, would be the steering , but I'll try doing what you said this weekend. and I will get back with you about that. \Again, thank you Sir. you've been more helpfull, in just that one reply, than I've gotten localy in the 3 weeks I've owned it.

Talk to you later, and thanks again :cheers:

John, a picture of your interior would be useful and informative. Most MJs (Comanches) came from the factory with a bench seat and a short, "mini" center console. Eliminators had bucket seats, and the XLT (or whatever they called the top model in 1986) had buckets, but by far most had a bench seat. So yours may be original.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks to me like at some point in time, some PO (previous owner) swapped in either the maroon seat and console, or the door trim and etc. I don't think I've seen that color combination otherwise..... But that doesn't mean I'd put it past AMC (or Chrysler) to do that sort of thing from the factory..... Do you have a pic of the full interior?