Thoughts On Buying A 92 Elim W/issues

91Pioneer

I didn't read the thread to closely (sorry about that), but the Jeep in the picture does have a lot of rust.  Rust isn't the end of the world, but if you plan to fight it and do a complete restore .... it will take some serious work to win that fight.  Its doable, but you'll have to tear the Jeep down to its bones, spend hours grinding and sanding, do extensive sheet metal repair, do a lot of body work, and repaint everything.

If you don't have experience with that sort of thing ... its gonna be a long hard uphill slog ..... BUT TOTALLY WORTH IT IN THE END!!!!

x2 a good quailty job takes a lot of work,

it may look good to the person who quickly does it, but to someone who does it for a living,

you can see every shorcut, every bump, wobble ect.

that being said, people are scared to use bondo (which some think premium bondo isnt bondo!!! XD )

if used properly it will get rid of all the low spots, but that all depened on how good your body work blocking skills are

and if your doing the body work and paint, do not cheap out on sanding blocks, go for the durablock ones,

and use a pneumatic pro finishing sander, not some plug in the wall board sander/carpentry sander

Well I couldn't stop thinking about this Comanche so I drove out there yesterday to see it (~700km each way). There was a pretty big dent behind the right rear wheel. The headliner was needing repair. There were plenty of small dents. The engine ran pretty good, and the uniframe was in pretty good shape overall.

There was just too much rust behind the panels for me to consider this a good restoration candidate. What I thought was the good side from the photos turned out to be the bad side. It needs just way too much rust repair. That's in addition to the windshield, brake work, loose track bar, loose ball joint, etc. I want a project but with a decent body.

What a waste of 2 days and $300. Oh well, that's life.

11430539013_eb23b05aef_c.jpg

11430395634_e9d012a7dc_c.jpg

11430366995_52b3670b19_c.jpg

11430385374_0916b07a92_c.jpg

11430436085_2a33226817_c.jpg

I guess I should have mentioned that their bottom price was $2,000 and I figured all the repairs to get it safetied would come to just over $1,100 roughly just for the parts (I could probably fix everything myself). Plus that doesn't include any rust repair on the box, just mechanical and the floor/rocker rust.

So after gas, trailer rental, safety items, purchase, etc. if I had bought it, I'd be at $3,700 and still have all that rust on the box. I can do better... I hope :-)  Man it's hard to find these trucks with minimal rust around here...

Now even though I wasn't considering this one which is in the same town I live in and I know the owner, I just might have to consider it. It's less rusty but lower KM, auto, 2WD, but has quite a few dents and dings. I dunno, I guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled for what comes up on the market.

11210056566_29a478b3ec_b.jpg

Fix the rust & dents, repaint, add Eliminator wheels & stripes and say "good enough"???