4" lift questions

Now that I have the D44 axle I wanted , I need to start plannin the lift.

I am going to use the new rustys 4" leafs out back and a good 4.5" kit for the front.

My questions are

1. do I need to do a tcase lowering kit on the MJ?

2. do I need to degree shim the rear diff with the 4" lift?

3. are driveshafts going to be an issue ? longer shorter?

thanks for any help you can offer

Longbed, shortbed?

You can probably get away without a Tcase drop if you set the pinion angle right. If you have a local 4x4 shop it's best because you can borrow and swap shims until it's right. But 4* should be close enough. If it doesn't work I'd build a tcase drop with some box and longer bolts, that's all they are. And the stock driveshaft will be fine unless the previous mentioned things don't work out and you need to get a SYE. You might pick up a YJ slipyoke as it allows a little more angle.

Oh, you're swapping in the D44. Hmm, the pinion length might be different. If it's longer, that'll work well, if it's shorter you risk losing the driveshaft as the slipyoke will pull out at full droop.

Jsut try it and see!

It is a longbed . Most of the lifted XJ's I see don't have the rear axles shimed and they seem to be fine, so you think 4* shims for the MJ?

any Idea what the optimal pinion angle should be with the lift?

Nobody knows! Things always work out different, and it'll depend how much stuff you put in the bed, etc. For a LWB, you'll probably not even need 4*. But you can be close, and it probably won't vibe. And if it does, you try again.

But, I'm betting it will be fine.

(I've got a shorbed, have over 7" of lift, and the pinon is set at 6*. It's bang on, reasonably a little high even. But the pinion might not be at 6*, the guy I had weld the perches on didn't seem to want to use an angle finder.)