Aw4 Breather / Vent Adapter

HOrnbrod

I'm blowing a bit of ATF when hot and it appears my AW4 isn't vented because I'm missing the vent tube adapter and there is no vent hose from the top of the transmission. It's part #42 in the below diagram. Does anyone have a blown AW4 with this adapter they could part with? Can't find one anywhere.

Or if anyone knows how this adapter attaches to the AW4 housing (assume it's 1/8" or 1/4" national pipe thread?) that would be great too. 

Don. It's a press fit. Not threaded. Considering it's plastic, think brittle, I think I would fab something up, inserting a metal pipe or tubing into the hole, 3/16th in, and attaching a hose to it. I do have one if you want it.

Don. It's a press fit. Not threaded. Considering it's plastic, think brittle, I think I would fab something up, inserting a metal pipe or tubing into the hole, 3/16th in, and attaching a hose to it. I do have one if you want it.

Thanks Jim. I can't see it, just going by feel. It also has like a hat on it that will turn / is movable. It feels like this pic I found:

The rear axle breather is also a press fit too, just a plastic hose adapter. Hmm, wonder if that would work? 

Thanks Jim. If you're willing to part with it, I'll take it. That's not what's in my AW4.  I'd like to run it up higher to the firewall. :cheers:

I've got others. i just grabbed that one because it was easy to get to. Or can't you use your old hose?

With your help, here's what I think happened. At one time or another, someone had the tranny out, and instead of pressing the plastic hose adapter back in, they used an axle vent like below with the top hat. That's what feels like is in there.

Image Not Found

I have no hose. Just the above pressed into the top of the tranny. So I'd like to do it right with the hose adapter that is supposed to be there, run new 1/4' hose and put the check valve up on the firewall. I do have the correct check valve. Will the hose adapter you have press into the tranny hole w/o a collar or shim Jim?

• 2 years later...