Ax15 Troubles

I'm having some problems from my ax15 and I'm looking for some advice on what to do next. First a little background on my mj, it's a 91, 4.0, ax15 tranny, and np231 tcase with 170k miles. I just recently had the transmission out of it to replace a leaking internal slave. While I had it out I replaced the clutch and pressure plate too. Got everything swapped and stuck it back in, but I've still got the leak. Master cylinder is fine and so are hoses. I wanted to swap from the internal to external slave when I had it out but bc of funding I wasn't able to at that time and now I'm slapping myself for it. I've had some grinding going into 2nd and 3rd gear for a while now so I think my syncros are starting to go and at times it doesn't like to go into gear at all unless I force it. I know I'm gonna have to pull the transmission again to fix it but while I've got it out I want to fix everything and be done with it for a while, hopefully. So my question is should I just take it out and do the external conversion and rebuild the transmission? My other option is to find another ax15 with the external slave that has a fairly low number of miles and swap it. If that's possible what other jeeps would I be able to pull it from that would match up with my mj and what all would I need from it to get it to work (bell housing, linkages, etc.)? If it would be better to rebuild mine, how difficult is it to do? I've never torn into one and rebuilt it but I really don't want a shop making any bigger of a hole in my bank account that I absolutely have to. I'm open to any other suggestions as well and any advice on what I've thought of so far is greatly appreciated.

If you end up trying to find a later model external bell housing or ax15 tranny for that matter with low miles good luck because there pretty hard to find! As far as fluids for your tranny try using a synchromesh fluid. It's a lot less harsh on the synchros. Good luck!

Keep your eyes peeled...i ended up with a 94 xj, ax15/external slave. Got the whole jeep for 350. Buddy needed an engine after blowing a hole in his block. He got engine, i got the trans. Stroke of luck i suppose. Theyre out there...sometimes.