Road Trip, A Little Hot

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna have a headpipe built without the "crush"?

Yes, per your suggestion.  I've already replaced the cat & muffler and added a flex pipe.  I have to tune up one of my connections, not quite fitting, so it's kind of loud.  My wife's employer went belly up so she's out of work, which has slowed most of the unnecessary expenditures (read Jeep) even so...I've yet to find a muffler shop that'll do it for less than $125.  I'll likely open another topic on that.

Glad to hear dropping down a gear keeps you  cool, and that you did not have to resort to last month's drastic "solution" ;) :

I'm just going to throw a new rad cap on it today and see what happens...If it still overheats I'll just  push the%$&*@# thing off our local convenient cliff and collect the insurance. 

Lots of guys run over-sized tires without re-gearing.  While they may get away with it on the flat (like where I live, for example), once you get into hills and mountains all bets are off! Not only does lugging unnecessarily drive engine temperatures higher than normal, it also wastes fuel by operating the engine   slower than the  efficient "sweet spot" it was designed to run at.  

I hope this thread will help all readers keep in mind the importance of proper gearing.