Tire sizes. Fit / Hit?

I've recently transformed over from a 95 YJ to a 1987 MJ. I had too much tied up in my old YJ and was ready for something a little different that the 90% of rigs on the trail.

I'm in the dark totally on the whole comanche/cherokee thing. I've setup hundreds of CJ, TJs and YJ Wranglers (i'm in the business), but very few cherokees and absolutely NO Comanches.

I grew accustomed to the D44s I had underneath my YJ with 38" tires. I LOVED the ground clearance and didn't worry too much about breaking since it had the 4 cylinder and I'm not "too" hard...well...sometimes I'm not real hard on the skinny pedal. :P The Comanche is a factory metric ton with the D44 rear, and I swapped out the front disconnect 30 for a HP non disconnect 30 from an XJ. I've got lockrights and 4.10s sitting here waiting, and should have some chromoly shafts on the way for the front as soon as they become available.

I've got a 6.5" RockKrawler long arm coming for the front and I've spring over the rear already.

What tire can I run with this combo as it sits with no trimming? I'm not afraid to hack a fender off, but like the look of the "non chopped" fenders. I'm thinking I can probably get away with a 35" tire for a little while, but I've got my heart set on 36"+. I almost ordered a set of 37s but didn't just yet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Conn

I am not sure what your use will be. Personally I am running 35's with 6.5 inches of lift, and alloys, and I feel I am pushing the limit on what the D30 can handle. A lot of that depends on what you wheel on as well. You might be able to clear 35's with that much lift, but I doubt 36 or 37's would work without some serious work. Mostly cause of the small wheel wells the MJ/Xj's have.

Patrick

No D30! GAH!

What else? Get aquainted with the sawzall..

I was almost thinking the same thing, but since I am running a turdy, I wasn't going to say anything. I forgot to mention, I will be going to different axles within the next yr. I am thinking 38 or 40's for my rig :shock: :twisted:

yeah, 30s aren't the best axle out there, but they're not the worst either. i sure ain't swapping in a rubicrap 44 (glorified 30), waggy 44, or high pinion 44. there's just not THAT much difference between a front D44 (of any variety) and a HP D30 with the 297 shafts.

go 60 or go home. so i guess i'll be hanging out with the wife.

MY d30 is probrably as strong as it can get for a d30. Alloy shafts, the truss. The problem is the ball joints are weak. As well as the wheel bearings. They hold up fine for mild-moderate wheeling, and 35's can live on them if it isnt wheeled to hard. I am going to be swapping in a HP44 out of a f150, and a 31 spline 9". I do agree with you that the rubi 44 is really a glorified d30.

Patrick