Charcoal Canister Question

I've been looking over hoses and first step maintenance and notice the purge line on the charcoal canister is not connected.  Coincidentally there is a hose that I followed and leads to the top of the fuel tank.  Could this be the culprit?

If you live in California, the smog boys will flunk you on the tank pressure test.  It's yet another way they get you on emissions without OBD.  With OBD I or II you'd throw a p0455 code for a large leak.  Since Renix (I'm a$$$uming Renix) won't pop a code all you'll get is gas fumes.  To pass California

smog, they pressurize the tank...and it has to hold pressure...or you'll fail.

If you don't live in California, or another state that uses the same test then all you're doing is releasing gas fumes into the atmosphere.  The hose itself is just bulk hose...aka dirt cheap...so if I were you I'd just replace it.

The Purge outlet on all my MJs has been a non-connected stub. In fact, it does not have an opening so why it says purge is dumbfounding. The Tank inlet runs to the fuel tank to capture fumes and any possible excess fuel that might slosh through the tanks top outlet. The larger outlet runs to the airbox via the hard plastic line along the firewall. The entire length of both hoses requires fuel rated hose due to the possibility of liquid fuel contacting any portion of the hose lines. I know this because I was dinged for it during a smog test on a previous MJ and had to replace 12" of hose from the canister to the hard line. There is also a vent hose at the bottom of the canister that vents out near the UCA.

Culprit of what??? :dunno:

Apologies, I should've have been more clear.  The hose is disconnected and I'm wondering if i should hook it up to the purge or not.  I probably shouldn't care either way because recently I painfully passed through smog and plan to re-register far far away from any sort of smog test.