Javelin Rear In A 4X4 Swap

Geonovast is correct, the AMC pony cars used a Model 20 rear axle behind the V8s and the hubs were splined onto the axle shafts, not forged as one piece. It wasn't difficult to spin a hub off an axle -- I managed to do it, with a 2-barrel 290 c.i.d. engine.

The ratios weren't great, either. The standard ratio was 3.15:1 with the 4-speed (3.54 optional), and 2.87:1 with the automatic (3.15 optional).

Just because you can doesn't mean it's always the best of ideas. With that said, a rear axle swap really doesn't involve much time or work. All you need are spring perches and maybe shock brackets (I say maybe because if the axle shafts are the same size then you can reuse the factory spring plates that have the shock brackets on them). Past that it's just getting rims for it (if a different bolt pattern), running the brakes and making sure the yoke and drive shaft play well together (as well as the drive shaft length).

Right now I'm just spit-balling ideas. I have the stock 5 speed 2.5(4.10?) now but I have a front axle from a 92 4.0(3.55?) and right now I'm thinking of making a 4banger 4x4 5 speed. I just need to figure out how to get the 4x4 axles set. I might just buy anouther mj and bite the bullet for $600 idk. Either way I need to put a whole floor pan in either truck to go but the other is a 4x4 5 speed with bed rot and a 4.0. Decisions decisions. At least I have a donor MJ for a floor pan. Big project either way.