Smoke In Cab

Hey fellas. My 88 4.0 has a major exhaust leak. I can hear it when accelerating not to mention smell it in the cab. My inner shifter boot was shot so I replaced it with one for a tj thinking it would help. It didn't. I am getting smoke into the cab when I'm going 50 mph +. It looks like its coming from the trams tunnel. I did a valve cover gasket and I still have a little leak but it don't smell like oil. On the interstate in 5th it really starts smoking. I have had manifold cracks before but never smoke. Has anyone heard of this before. Do you think the manifold is the culprite? Appreciate it.

-Gary

Check for holes in your firewall. I had a lot of smoke/exhaust smell in the cab because of a leak between the manifold and the exhaust pipe. My speedo cable is missing and the grommet is gone so the stuff came directly into the cab. I temporarily stopped the exhaust leak with a muffler repair wrap (have a whole new exhaust system to install soon, including manifold) and put some tape over the speedo cable hole (until I put my new cable in). Also bought the OEM transmission boot for a good seal there. That's solved the exhaust gas in the cabin for now.

I do have a few spots where there is no grommet or just an open hole in the firewall. I will grab a new donut and re do the connection between the manifold and down pipe and block off the holes. Ill let yous know how it works out.

Thanks!

-Gary