Thanks

I want to thank everyone here who has contributed to a death wobble thread on here. I had a SEVERE case of death wobble on my 88 2wd that absolutely scared the hell out of me and my wife. So I did some searching on the forum. Boy, did I get an education on troubleshooting DW. It quickly led me to check all the components on the front end, and I found the frame end of the track rod was so worn it would move 3/8 of an inch side to side. I replaced the track rod, and my truck is back to normal again. I also did tie rod ends and the steering damper as insurance. Next is the Lower control arms.

Again, thanks everyone. This place rocks!

:banana: :bowdown:

Clay Perrine

74 Porsche 914 1.8L "Frodrick"

73 Porsche 914 2.4L MFI Six "Igor"

95 BMW 540i "Inga"

68 Porsche 911 Normal "Abby Normal"

88 Jeep Commanche 4.0 2WD. "The Jeep"

"It is better to wear out than to rust out!"

I've been driving Jeeps my whole life, so DW is not new to me. First time comanche owner though, so I knew to check the track bar. Mine was exactly as you described also. Since it was new to me and wouldn't pass inspection yet, I never had a chance to get up to speed. Just some around the block kind of test drives. What I have noticed in my TJ, is that DW only happens at a speed of 45 ish. What speed did yours happen at?

Clay, Above your icon place holder it says jeeper. As you get more posts, it will change to "can spell comanche" like mine. When it does, you will need to correct the spelling of comanche in your signature. Just sayin! :=)

Ok.. so I can't spell. :doh:

But I are a good car fixer....

And I found the DW happening on the freeway when I would hit a bump. Had to slow to below 45 and jerk the wheel to one side to get it to stop. Drove from downtown Dallas to just west of DFW airport at 45 mph. That sucks.

Ok.. so I can't spell. :doh:

But I are a good car fixer....

And I found the DW happening on the freeway when I would hit a bump. Had to slow to below 45 and jerk the wheel to one side to get it to stop. Drove from downtown Dallas to just west of DFW airport at 45 mph. That sucks.

Downtown to the west side of DFW at 45mph? That's a win in my book! Especially if it was close to rush hour. Traffic, without a doubt, was the thing I hated most about living up there!