Comanche Frame Replacement

First off, forgive me if i posted this in the wrong section. It seemed tech related to me.

After searching multiple forums, i am seeking help with a few questions on my next build. I recently acquired an 89 Comanche for $300 off of a friend. The cab is in good shape, and the interior is half decent. It is a 4Cyl, 4Spd 2wd. I already have a parts XJ to swap the axles, and the powertrain and interior out of. The XJ is totaled, with no floor or unibody left unrotted.

The only problem is, the comanche has a shot frame. The unibody under the cab is pretty rotted from about 3 inches behind the front control arm mounts, to the back of the cab, and the rear frame is completely rotted and has been cut off. I have a new complete rear frame assembly off of another parts truck to weld onto the 89 Cab. If i were to replace the unibody from the control arm mounts back with 1/8" or 1/4" C channel, and additional plating, then use a piece of square channel to reattach the rear frame assembly, and add additional plating on the outside, would it be strong enough to hold up to the stress of flexing out the truck, and carrying a truck full of gear?

I could really use some of your input on this project. I have the time to do it, i just want to know if its plausible. Will it hold up to the stress i will put on it? Or would i be better off scrapping the two jeeps, which i was trying to save firstoff, and cut my losses? confused.gif

Any input would be appreciated, and any help or tips as well.

Thanks guysbiggrin.gif

What we did to my buddy's J20 is we built a whole new rear half of the frame and fishplated it to the factory front half. What I would do in your case is see if you can slip a piece of box steel inside where the two halves mate and plug weld that. Then plate the outside as far as you can in both directions, both inner, outer, bottom and top (where you can) with 1/8" or 3/16" and rosette weld that. 1/4" is a lot of weight to be adding to the frame and welding 1/4" to sheet metal is a royal pain. I wouldn't hesitate to flex out a frame with it having box welded inside and plated on the outside.