Clutch Sensor For Ignition?

For some reason, my truck won't start with the ignition. It did before my engine swap, now it will not work. I'm guessing the sensor that prevents you from starting it without engaging the clutch is the problem, but don't know where it is, what would be wrong, and what to do about it.

Suggestions?

For some reason, my truck won't start with the ignition. It did before my engine swap, now it will not work. I'm guessing the sensor that prevents you from starting it without engaging the clutch is the problem, but don't know where it is, what would be wrong, and what to do about it.

Suggestions?

What year MJ? I think the clutch interlock was introduced in 1994, so it should not have been found on any MJ.

When I tun the key on I get interior and dash lights, when I turn to ignition, nothing happens, with or without the clutch depressed

Let's use better terminology. "On" = "ignition." You have ignition when the key is on the On or Run position, otherwise the engine wouldn't run. When you turn the key beyond On to the Start position, all accessories should be bypassed and the starter should engage.

So if by "on" you mean the run position, you should have instrument warning lights, but the ignition switch should not be turning on any interior lights.

If by "ignition" you mean "Start," then you need to figure out why the starter isn't engaging. Have you checked the starter relay? Can you jumper to the solenoid and engage the starter? If not, the solenoid may be bad. If the solenoid clicks but the starter doesn't do anything, the starter is bad.

Yes to the above, and it will start if we jump the solenoid, but will not start with the key, so imbtrying to diagnose why the key will not work. This is the first vehicle I've had to do more work than basic maintenance, so everything I know has come from this forum and my chilton manual.

Here's "Relay 101": http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm#demo

First determine which relay is for the starter (dist box cover will say)

Then pull it. Then determine which terminals are the coil and which

are the line/load. Energize the coil and check voltage. The terminal

numbers are pretty common, I think 30 is line (hot), 85 is coil ground,

86 is switched hot to coil, and 87 is load (to starter). If you get

nothing at terminal 86 socket when operating the ignition switch, you

may have a bad switch.