Idle Problems

Ive looked and looked and can't seem to find a straight answer what is the correct rpm idle for a 88 jeep comanche with inline 6. it idles at or right under 1000 rpm which sounds high. Its jumped up to 2000 and 2500 hundred so i cleaned the throttle body and now its at 1000 which is still higher than it was. Any help would be appreciated.

The IAC is attached to your throttle body. It is a cylindrical piece with 2 torx bit screws holding it in, and a small plug on it. All you really have to do is take it out, spray the end of it with some carb cleaner, and scrub it with a toothbrush until the carbon buildup is gone. Be careful not to push or pull on the piece you are scrubbing. Then reinstall it and see if that solves your problem. If not, then I would look into purchasing a new one. They are fairly cheap.

I also have an idle problem 87 4.0l. but mine feels like its going to stall at start up. after 5 mins it holds steady then feels like its going to stall when i put it in gear. Auto transmission. carb adjustment?

Is yours actually running with a carb setup? Or is it fuel injection? Either way, I would check out the basics first. Does it smoke when you start it? If so, what color is the smoke?

Thanks for the info. Just got it done and its running great. It was pretty nasty as well as the throttle body. Someone told me I could take it to a shop and let them run something through it and burn all the crap put of it. Thinking towards having that done. Is that accurate?

You can do that yourself with some seafoam, but I can't gaurantee the results. I, personally, would just take of the intake manifold and clean it manually. If you are looking to clean your valves, than you can do the seafoam or take it to the shop. I don't know which would be better.