Aw4 Transmission Slipping/surging?

Hello guys,

New to the forum, I have a 1988 Comanche Pioneer 4.0/AW4/231 with 252,000 on the odometer (probably more since the speedo is wrong). My transmission has been acting up lately and have spent hours upon hours searching for what could be doing this. While driving my transmission seems to "slip" out of gear and the revs go through the roof (based on the sound, doesnt have a tach), but as soon as i let off the gas the transmission will re-engage. Bought and drove it home with no problems. two weeks later took the throttle body off to clean it. after re-install transmission was acting up to the point where i could only go 15mph. read on forums it could be the tps, got a voltometer and took input/output voltage and corrected it to within the suggested range. this let me drive the speed limit, but transmission still will "slip" out of gear regurally, usually not while accelerating but mostly while cruising at a set speed, it will seem to pop out of gear and as soon as i let off the gas go back to normal unitl the next time it happens. tried 1/2 bottle of lucas transmission fix as suggested by a mechanic i know, seemed to help a little, just decreasing the fvrequency but still enough to worry me/hinder normal driving. added the other half 3 days ago and made my problem almost worse than before i put the first half in. Is it my transmission going bad, or could it be a sensor? I'm on the fence whether it was just couincidence it started happening after i took the throttle body off or not.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Try this. Since you have pulled the throttle body, the TV cable is probably way out of adjustment. If maladjusted it will cause your AW4 shifting points to be all over the place. Takes no tools and about five minutes to do.

1: Push in and hold the release button

2: While holding in release button, push "conduit" in as far as it will go

3: Release button

4: Rotate the throttle pawl to WOT.

5: Hold at WOT for a few seconds, the cable should ratchet out a click or three. If not, the TV cable outer sheath is AFU. If it extends correctly, then..

6: The TV cable should be properly adjusted. :cheers:

Thank you guys, was on my way to a well lit area last night to check my tv cable and the jeep overheated and all my coolant violently boiled out, so as soon as I figure out this problem and get the jeep drivable again ill adjust the tv cable and get back to you guys. As far as the fluid is concerned I have checked it and its within normal limits. If the tv cable adjustment does not work my next step is to change the fluid completely and see if this helps.