'86 restore project

I am about to try to do something very foreign to me, restore a truck. Not just any truck, it's my first Comanche, that for reasons too long to explain, sat neglected for a # of yrs. The mice found it to be a great place to live. Now I want it back from them and to save it from the junk yard (sorry "used parts" broker). You can see my progress so far on a site I made just to show you what I'm talking about.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resvv6cx/mymj/

Right now (after it warms up in In) I am trying to get all the vent work out to clean the mice sh!* out. I am one to just start hacking away, but my brother (who works on cars, but not this one) tells me that I should find out what some of the bolts go to before I ruin the truck even more. So I was hoping to get some advice from you all.

So far the dash, carpet, seat are out. After fighting with the dash and cracking the windshield, I really don't want to put it back...

If you check out the web, let me know if it works ok.

reguarding the ductwork, the circled screws are the ones you need. drain and disconnect your cooling system from the heater unit inside the engine compartment.

I think there are 6 or 8 screws to take out the heater box. two are behind the engine and a few more in the open.

then unplug the wiring inside and pull it loose.

take girsmj86's advice and get a manual.

Great. good to see I'm not too far off base.

My local autozone has a Cherokee/'Manche manual by Haynes. It seems to have some of what I need, but it's for every model from '84-'90. Do you have any better suggestions. I can't find a Chiltons in my area. Maybe Amazon, but I wanted your advice on the ultimate manual.

Hey, JeepcoMJ

I see your sporting an MJ with the 2.8L, did you swap it or modify? I know there is a lot of good stuff here and I am surfing for ideas, but I was just curious. That is one of the major projects I'm trying to plan--the engine.

no worries man on your bad.

I have two 86 comanche's with 2.8's originally. one i did this to it http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3582

that's a 3.8 camaro engine. it could be less complicated if you don't want the air conditioner....you wouldn't have to cut the frame to do it. I can get you the wiring diagram for that and all my specs. if you want to go that route. downfall to this swap is you have to custom make the exhaust manifolds, y-pipe, and motor mounts.

and the other i'm putting a 3.4 camaro engine in. if you want a quick boltin swap then do the camaro 3.4 swap, it BOLTS UP to your tranny and motor mounts. you would just need a 4.0 gas tank and fuel pump or an inline fuel pump off a 88-ish ford 5.9 v8 pickup.

If you go that route I can get you all the wiring diagrams you would need...you would need to get the whole engine harness and computer (all in the engine compartment) as well as the fans and such for the motor. basically buy a whole camaro from the junkyard...the 3.4 years were from about 90 to 94. like i said this is the easiest swap, exhaust manifolds bolt on y-pipe as well, bolts to tranny and bolts to the motor mounts.

if you do the 3.4 swap, yes it is the same block as the 2.8 except it can't house the mechanical fuel pump. DO NOT switch back to your 2.8 intake and carb. 90% of the problem with the 2.8 is that it's got the vacuum bull$#!& on the carb and that robs it of power. the other 10% is that it's for a small car not a truck. if you don't want to mess around with the fuel injection, edelbrock makes a nice 2 barrel and 4 barrel intake for it. personally I'd go with the 4 barrel and a holley 390cfm carburator were i not going F.I.

but i love wiring so I'd go FI...it's really not that hard.

let me know what you do, i can get you any wiring diagrams you would need!