4.0 head gasket

Well I finally finished replacing the head gasket in my 98 cherokee. Its the same motor so I thought I'd enlighten everyone. It was much easier than I expected, never tried anything this deep before. Only took about 1:45 to take the head off with help of a buddy who had done this once before. And boy was the head ugly.

One of those has about an inch of fluid sitting on it. I forgot to snap a pic of the head while it was off but it wasn't pretty. Rust on the first to rockers and a whole lot of nasty crap in general. Got it resurfaced and cleaned and a week later I was back at it to finish the job.

Took longer to put it back together, ran into a few reach/bolt issues. But what Jeep job isnt full of them.

Just thought I'd share my eventful past 2 weekends. Much better to spend a few hours and about 200 bucks than pay a shop 1200 to do the same.

do you have a question. it seems like this should be on a build page more than the tech section.. i did this on my 89 and it didn't do any good cuz i was ignorant enought to just assume that the head was good. then come to find out after a bought a new motor that my head and block was cracked.. idiot before me probably let it get too hot and i found out that my head with a certain molding number is notorious for cracking..

Impressive work on cleaning up that block tho. looks good :D