Instrument Cluster issues

Okay, so I transplanted a '90 XJ EFI 4.0L into my '86 MJ, and the instrument cluster doesn't work. So, I replaced the senders for the temp gauge, and the oil pressure gauge, and they now work. What about the voltmeter, the tachometer, and the fuel gauge?

Are there senders in the alternator, and for the tachometer? What are the chances the instrument cluster has gone bad?

Any of you gurus have an idea about this?

Did you swap the computer and wiring harness from the "90 ? Which year of gauge panel do you have ( 86 or 90 ) ? The tach & volts don't have senders as such . More info = more feed-back :thumbsup:

I believe the gauge cluster needs to be year / series specific ( 88-90 ) ? Did /can you source cluster from the doner ? I see from your other posts that you adapted the XJ harness to the MJ , not sure if this may have impacted the dash circuits in question . :shake:

I suspected that the cluster should be from the 90, but I've not gotten any confirmation on it. I know ECM is OBD, so I wasn't sure about the gauge cluster.

The donor is long gone, and was the type that only had dummy lights. I have a line on a cluster not too far from here. I may just go get it.