ax-15 for aw4: craigslist

I wanted your guys opinion on an ad I am about to post to craigslist.

I have removed and ready to go a 5spd, AX-15 out of a 1990 jeep comanche, mated to a 231-J transfer case, I would like to do a TRADE for an AW4 with t-case, in just as good if not better condition. There are approximately 174,000 miles on my trans, don't know if its ever been rebuilt, but it has never let me down. Shifts perfect in all but the most extreme applications. transmission will come with EVERYTHING you need. clutch, pedal, master cylinder, bell housing

I am open to it, if you would like to buy it outright, but i would have to get enough to afford to pay for another transmission and t-case, plus the wiring harness and other dodads necassary for the swap.

If you don't know much about these transmissions, look em up. They are reguarded as the best manual to ever be put behind jeeps 4.0 inline six.

By the way what year(s) can this swap be done with? again mine is a 1990 mj, I just discovered today that it originally WAS an auto, uncovered the old shift boot and "power-comfort" switch, but sadly no TCU :(

Sounds good.

Change spelling of "reguarded" to regarded. Add a picture of your nice shiny clean AX-15...if it's not cleaned up I (and others) will just see a dirty old hunk of metal, and potential problems. If there is NO picture, I (and others) may just pass on it in thier search. IMHO

If you know it's been an auto before and it has the correct plugs for the TCU, NSS and 7-pin connectors, all you need is a TCU form the JY and you're good. Look for an AW4 90.5 - 95.

...and read this:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

I can get pictures to show up, but they are HUGE. I have read through the walk threw a dozen times and i still can't figure out how to resize them in a way that effects the picture once its on CC. I can resize them on photobucket, but it makes no difference once they are on here. :dunno:

I can get pictures to show up, but they are HUGE. I have read through the walk threw a dozen times and i still can't figure out how to resize them in a way that effects the picture once its on CC. I can resize them on photobucket, but it makes no difference once they are on here. :dunno:

So, post the photos on craigslist, they'll resize them for you...then post the post.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/3146602907.html

There it is boys, yes i realize its not cleaned up, i was tired, and i won't be able to clean it for quite sometime, i just wanted to get it out there and see what happens. :chillin:

the gear ratio is 2.72, is that norm? :dunno:

I have read the 231 is the more desirable of the t-cases, should i keep it and just swap trannys?

and what does the J mean?

Instead of starting a new topic i figured i would just revive this one.

Unfortunately, after tearing the ENTIRE dash and harness apart and i could not find any plugs on the passenger side that might have gone to a TCU. :(

I found this write up and it is fantastic, BUT there are some key questions that it does not answer, it also makes the swap seem way WAY harder than i was first led to believe.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-1.htm