Ridiculous fuel pressure in system

I had noticed this before, but for some reason never thought about it until I went to replace my fuel pressure regulator on the rail the other day and it just spit fuel out till kingdom come. With a bit of quick thinking, i was able to alleviate the problem by taking my gas cap off and letting the pressure out. I was just wondering if this is normal operation with these engines(which is a 94 Cherokee 4.0). Every time I drive out for five minutes to get gas, when I take the cap off I can hear the air being forced out as I loosen it. And it isn't just a little hiss. It lasts for 10 to 15 seconds.

I was also wondering if this may be a cause to my high rpm backfire when I shift.

Got into looking at it today, and yeah, air is definitely not making it through the tubes. The culprit ended up being the metal line that runs up to the engine bay. It just happened to be rusted completely shut, or at least I think it's rust. In any case, some kind of buildup has rendered that line impassible for air.

So, on to my next question. Where can I find a replacement for that line? Do they even make them anymore?