Broken Door Lock?

Went to open my truck door the other day and no matter how much I turned the key back and forth, the inside lock was not disengaging. I opened my passenger door and unlocked it from inside. Locks and unlocks fine from the inside but will not from the outside. Seems like something may have been disconnected. I would like some input before pulling my door panel. Thanks!

Not sure about the broken clip idea , but replacement lock sets ( one if you want carry an extra key ) are cheap . They're a little fiddley to install , good light and a mirror helps :wrench:

If he can unlock it from the inside and the key turns both ways and doesnt unlock then those clips are the only things that can let go. Everything else is solid. I believe a dealer sells em for a couple bucks or ya can find em on any mj/xj, etc. I believe some vehicles had metal ones too.

Just from your original post, it's not totally clear what the symptoms are.... the key turns freely and nothing happens, or they key sort of turns but has resistance and doesn't unlock the door?

If it's the first, then yea you probably broke something inside... it should be fairly obvious once you get the door panel off what is wrong... look up in there with a flashlight.

If it's the second symptom, go to the auto parts store and get some "lock-ease" graphite spray and squirt a little inside the lock past the flapper thing that keeps dirt out. I have to do this on my truck on occasion because the locks quit "moving" when I try to turn they key in them.... they just get gummed up or something and don't want to turn.

I think so too. I have not had a chance to pulls panel yet and yesterday it decided to break completely. My driver door will not open from the inside or outside the lock inside will not move to the unlock position. Now it seems I'll have to pull the panel from the inside :ack:

before ya risk destroying your door panel trying to get it off with the door shut. Try removing the window seals from it. It should give ya enough room to move the glass and to get a long pliers or something in there to get it open.