Manche Gauge Lights

Hi, I have an 89 Comanche and ive been trying to get my gauge lights to work. Out of the blue when i turned on my headlights the lights popped on. But when i turned on the headlights later that night they wouldnt turn on. Ive tried fuses, but i want to have an idea of possible causes before i dig into the problem more. :mad: Any theories?

The headlight switch has a dimmer function built-in, try twisting the headlight switch back and forth with the headlights on. Sometimes certain spots on the dimmer portion of the switch conk out or the switch only works on full brightness.

Also, check the "INST LMPS" fuse in the fuse box, if it's burnt up replace it... if it's not, try pulling it out of the socket and pushing it back in, wiggling it around, etc. On my fuse box, the inst lmps socket actually had a broken contact on one side and I had to jerry-rig something to shove into the socket to keep the fuse in contact with the terminals.

Also, if your rig is a 5-speed, check to see that your clutch master cylinder isn't leaking... they're right above the fuse box, and over time a leak will eat away and corrode the fuse box itself.