Idiot Lights to Full Cluster

As the title say, that's what i'm trying to do. Everytime I do this something doesn't work the way i know it should. if any one knows how to do this and can post it clearly i would appreciate.

Also the idiot light say that it is getting hot. we replaced radiator and thermostat. i know they say it could be the water pump but it apppeares tobe working .

Any advice is appreciated.

There is probably a how to thread in the how to DIY section.

But, it's pretty straight forward.

I did it on mine last year.

Replace the gauge cluster. Replace the oil pressure sending unit by the oil filter. Replace the temperature sending unit on the back of the head. Should work fine after that.

I'm pretty sure I have pics of both the sensors in my build thread. Check my sig for that thread.

Good Luck!

:wrench:

Thanks man. I know it's pretty simple as I talked to alot of people about it. The problem I ran into this time is that the temp sensor won't screw in. I mean really?????? Any advice on how to get the speedometer cable attached without pulling it out of the tranny? Last time that was my problem. Thanks again man. Any advice is always appreciated.

Not sure about the temp sensor not threadng in, will the old one still thread in? Perhaps the parts store sold you the wrong sending unit? I changed my idiot lights out last week, took less than 2 hours (and it was raining). The speedo was impossible for me to unplug with the gauges in, so I unhooked it from the tranny and pulled the the cable through the sheathing when I yanked the cluster. To re-install, I secured the cable to the speedo, then gently guided the cable back into the sheathing with my hand behind the dash, reinstalled the screws and re-installed the speedo cable back in to the transmission. I even set my new (used) speedo to the appropriate mileage while I was tearing into it. A very worthwhile upgrade, cost me less than 50 bucks when it was all said and done. When does it get hot? Idling, city driving or freeway? I replaced the fan clutch in my xj and was amazed at the difference. It always ran 210 or a needle width higher, now it stays left of 210 regardless of my driving.

Mainly normal driving. For example if I drive it 1.5miles ( distance from my dads to home) the light begins to come on if I continue to drive it, then it comes all the way on. i actually checked the temp. with a thermometer ( normally used for the turkey) and it read slightly over 200. So I m not sure id its overheating or the lights are just FUBAR. For some reason I didnt really think that it could have been the wrong one :doh: .

Not sure about the temp sensor not threadng in, will the old one still thread in? Perhaps the parts store sold you the wrong sending unit? I changed my idiot lights out last week, took less than 2 hours (and it was raining). The speedo was impossible for me to unplug with the gauges in, so I unhooked it from the tranny and pulled the the cable through the sheathing when I yanked the cluster. To re-install, I secured the cable to the speedo, then gently guided the cable back into the sheathing with my hand behind the dash, reinstalled the screws and re-installed the speedo cable back in to the transmission. I even set my new (used) speedo to the appropriate mileage while I was tearing into it. A very worthwhile upgrade, cost me less than 50 bucks when it was all said and done. When does it get hot? Idling, city driving or freeway? I replaced the fan clutch in my xj and was amazed at the difference. It always ran 210 or a needle width higher, now it stays left of 210 regardless of my driving.

Thanks man. I know it's pretty simple as I talked to alot of people about it. The problem I ran into this time is that the temp sensor won't screw in. I mean really?????? Any advice on how to get the speedometer cable attached without pulling it out of the tranny? Last time that was my problem. Thanks again man. Any advice is always appreciated.

You should be able to get the speedo cable disconnected from the gauges. Press the little clip where it attaches to the back of the gauge and it should pull out. Shouldn't have to remove it from the tranny.

If the temp sensor won't screw in, then something is wrong. Is it too big or too small to go into the hole? Does the old one screw back in? Like said above, maybe you have the wrong one...

Good Luck!

comanche.gif

The problem I ran into this time is that the temp sensor won't screw in.

Which temperature sensor are you trying to replace? On an '89 there are three: The one in the radiator tank controls the auxiliary fan; the one down low on the driver's side of the block sends data to the ECU; the one on the left rear corner of the head is the one that activates the idiot light or the temp gauge.

Mainly normal driving. For example if I drive it 1.5miles ( distance from my dads to home) the light begins to come on if I continue to drive it, then it comes all the way on. i actually checked the temp. with a thermometer ( normally used for the turkey) and it read slightly over 200. So I m not sure id its overheating or the lights are just FUBAR. For some reason I didnt really think that it could have been the wrong one :doh: .

I think you have the wrong temp sender in it. Sounds like you have the one for the gauge and not the light. The one for the light is a switch type and should just light the light at a steady brightness. The gauge type is a variable resistor and that would make your light change brightness as the engine warms up. The sender for the light type has a slot cut in the end on the threaded part where the wire attaches and the gauge one has no slot.