Identify this hose?

It's 2" wire flex hose and auto parts stores carry it. It comes in 3 ft (max extension) length and made of aluminum. In CA I have to have it in place to visually pass the smog requirements even though it never gets cold here and is completely unnecessary.

It's 2" wire flex hose and auto parts stores carry it. It comes in 3 ft (max extension) length and made of aluminum. In CA I have to have it in place to visually pass the smog requirements even though it never gets cold here and is completely unnecessary.

I'll agree on the "completely unecessary" part. I've never been tagged on the visual inspection part. It's a poor design and a flimsy a$$ hose with minimal benefit. I tore mine out on both XJ and MJ. You'd think that they'd eliminate it altogether...wait...they did... starting in 1991.

On carb equipped vehicles (old days) these were essential on some vehicles. I had chevv/ford/buicks that would freeze the carbs in winter under cold conditions with just the right amount of moisture in the air. If I didn't have the hose on and it was 35* or under the carb would freeze to the point fuel quit flowing. Had to stop and let it idle till things thawed out and away you go again. By blocking of the air flow through the radiator and running a little hotter you could overcome this. Were nights when I had to stop 2 or 3 times between Pueblo and CSpngs and wait for it to thaw. Finally would just throw a large piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and they were good to go for the winter season.