Reese 37042 hitch to fit Comanche?

I read several (long) threads that went into the fit of the Reese 37042 on an MJ. I never could find any solid info on what needed to be done, whether people had developed adapter plates to allow its use on the MJ, etc.

I have a 37042 and did a test-fit this weekend and it would require some fairly extensive work to get it to fit, based on my eyeball test. I saw where people were working on adapter plates, but I see no updates in months.

I don't NEED a hitch (I have never needed/used one in the past), but I would not mind keeping this one, if I can make it work without too much trouble.

So are there any updates to the process for fitting the 37042 on the MJ?

Thanks!

Is the 37042 the universal that fits up beneath the frame rails?

Yes- the universal small trick hitch. It fits the dakota, XJ, etc. There were several threads about it here when it was determined that the MJ-specific hitches were gone. Several threads talk about the 37042 fitting the MJ but don't speak to exactly how, and another thread dealt with someone making adapter plates. All died inconclusive deaths.

I went through the same search process as you when I installed mine. It was almost impossible to find good info on the hitch. I got mine to work after seeing a couple pics of a CC members but I can't remember who. I installed mine by using the brackets it came with and set them up like I was bolting it to a XJ. Then I drilled three holes on each side through the flat C channel looking bumper brackets and mounted the hitch. It worked out great and is VERY solid but it does hang down more than I like. I don't wheel so the clearance doesn't bother me. I can take a few pics for you if you want.

Here is a pic I already had on my PC you can kinda see the hitch sticking out.

• 6 months later...
I went through the same search process as you when I installed mine. It was almost impossible to find good info on the hitch. I got mine to work after seeing a couple pics of a CC members but I can't remember who. I installed mine by using the brackets it came with and set them up like I was bolting it to a XJ. Then I drilled three holes on each side through the flat C channel looking bumper brackets and mounted the hitch. It worked out great and is VERY solid but it does hang down more than I like. I don't wheel so the clearance doesn't bother me. I can take a few pics for you if you want.

Here is a pic I already had on my PC you can kinda see the hitch sticking out.

This is an old post, but I wanted to ask if you had any other pictures of the mounting points or whether you'd be willing to let me come up to Hagerstown to look at how it was mounted. The 20-minute dirve might be well worth it.