swap questions regarding 96 or 98 xj platforms.

Hello, I've got an 89 lwb 2wd comanche that I'm going to do a complete 4wd swap. I've got a built 96 xj that runs flawless, lifted, built axles and all. I've also got a wrecked 98 xj, its just the body motor , trans and t case. I'm thinking of completely stripping the 96, motor, trans, case, axles, lift and all wiring and dash into the mj. OR I could do the 98 swap, but then I'd be tearing into two xjs. My question is does anyone think the 98 swap is more beneficial , to me it just seams like I'd be getting the upgraded front clip along with the interior. Both xjs have 4.0 , aw4, np231(96) np242(98) with close to the same mileage. Thanks for your input.

i would say since you already have a wrecked 98 to do that swap. interior looks better, plus you could have power windows (assuming the 98 does). i started a 96 swap but lost interest because of making the fuel guage read correct and making a harness for power windows/lock/mirrors. there is a write up in the DIY for 97+ swap

The '96 was Jeep's first year with OBD-2, and from everything I have read it was very much a kludge. They knew they had to do OBD-2 because it was a law, but they also knew there was a revised body style coming the next year so they didn't design a complete new wiring harness for old body style and dashboard, they just patched it to come up with a minimal OBD-2 implementation. By '98 they were in the second year of the new body style and firmly on the way with OBD-2. I would leave the '96 XJ alone and swap from the wrecked '98 directly to the MJ.