5 cylinder Comanche

Finally found a HP chart for the 6 cylinder. The heave lines are the 2005 and earlier, the light lines are the 2006 and up. Looks like the earlier engine made more torque at lower RPM, but dropped off towards the top. Looks like the early motoe would actually be better in a daily driver.

It is kind of like the Jeep 4.0 aftermarket, some stuff is available. You can get rods, pistons, etc. The big enhancement on these engines is turbocharging. If you go to youtube and search Vortec 4200 turbo , or just vortec 4200. looks like yo can get around 400hp out of a stock motor and 500 or so if you build it. This would be for a street car, not a full race. The nova up on youtube does a 10.4 quarter mile.

I have been talking to this guy in Detroit who dropped one into a supra. Build thread here http://www.vortec4200.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=780

He is using a duramax turbo he got for $100 off ebay. The problem is that it is variable vane turbo and he is working on a good way to control the vanes. He says you can by a controller, but he is too cheap and thinks he can do it himself. The thread shows his turbo install, it is very low dollar.

A company called Speed Steed did make a turbo manifold for a while but i have heard it is out of production. New turbos( from China) are available on Ebay for about $300 and you can get a US made turbo for $800-$1,200

The thing that makes all this possible is that you can reprogram the PCM. The Jeep engine controller is not reprogrammable.

A friend of mine bought that same variable vane turbo for his Galant VR-4 build. He is trying to figure out the programming to make it work and he says he knows of only one other person that has successfully done it (and that person isn't saying much, which probably means it's not easy).

• 2 weeks later...

And Just when you thought the thread was at its end, I thought i would show some of the performance potential of the 4200. The 5 cylinder would benefit from similar performance improvements. Here is a video of a 1950 chevy sedan with a stock motor doing a sub 14 second quarter mile.

Here is a post i received from another board , he is running 8lbs of boost on a stock engine. :

Hi All,

I have a 69 Camaro that I have transplanted an 05 4.2/4L65E combo with a turbo making 470HP/450FTLB at 8 lb of boost. Am in the process of building an 06 engine to live with 15lb of boost. My goal is 600HP/600ftlb -- keeping my fngers crossed. Had to fab almost every piece on the engine, but had great fun doing it.

Jeff Wieser

Here are some pictures of a guy installing one into an Iroc Z. You can see how the turbo setup is easy to install on the passenger side.

1024f1f094a99a5a.jpg

Here is a link to his build thread.

http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?140964-Vortec-4200-I-6-Turbo-IROC-Z

1024f1f094aed6ae.jpg

1024f1f094b6132b.jpg

Here is my point, If you build a stroker and get 260-270hp out of it, you done, you built the engine. You could turbo it, but performance is limited because of cylinder flow, and the plumbing is hard because of the non cross flow head. Look at the first picture above, doesn't look too hard to fabricate, and the exhoust pipe ends up in a good location for most jeeps, i guess the exception would be the CJ7 and earlier wranglers, but 1987 and up wranglers, MJs XJs Grands, it would all work well.

Probably your next question is, well if you think it is such a great idea why don't you do it? I will, but currently working on the Turbo setup for the Bonneville truck, and i can only handle one project at a time.