one step forward and two steps back......long

oldrusty

The old rusty mj has been really trying my patience as of late.....I bought a 2 door chevy crapalier last summer to save some on gas back and forth to work. Because of this the mj wound up sitting about 4 months. My plan was to go over it and have it ready for winter snow plow service. Life got in the way with odds and ends and taking care of the new baby and i never got to it........Fast forward till the end of october when the boss asked if the plow was ready ( I plow thre lot at work with my truck). I told him it wasnt and he replied " why don't you bring it over here and go over it". Needless to say he didnt have to ask twice. I spent about a week cutting sheet metal and welding in patches until my mj had no visible holes anywhere in the body. :clapping: :banana: Started going over it mechanically last week. In the process of changing the plugs i managed to break the heater control valve. :mad: Went to the rear end to replace the parking brake .When I pulled the right drum i found i had an axle seal leaking. :doh: The shop was closed yesterday for thanksgiving weekend so I figured Id make a run to my local napa and then put a few hours in on the truck. Got to the shop and figured id replace the axle seal first so I could put the rearend back together...........and........the new axle seal doesnt fit.....to big in diameter :grrrr: :mad: :wall: :wall: After i regained my composure and stopped cussing like a sailor I moved on to replacing the front parking brake cable only to find that when it broke i lost whatever goes onto the threaded end of the cable( still havent investigated what parts i don't have). :doh: :fs1: ......So at this point I'm ready to pack it in but I refuse to quit without accomplishing something so I managed to at least replace a couple bad u joints......... I was hoping to have it mechanically sound by monday and maybe paint the old girl before i start driving it.......At this point Ill be lucky to have it running in time to plow with it.

Weve all had days like that. it happens. Some days i wonder if i have accomplished anything, somedays i can't believe how much I've gotten done. I bought my MJ and figured id have it on the road in no time. The further into it i dug the more problems and broken stuff i found. I decided that a full restoration(resto-mod actually) was in order for this once proud truck.

I really can't complain......Ive had thid truck for about six years and plowed with it for 5. Other than changing a harmonic balancer Ive really not done anything to it that i wouldnt consider normal maintenance.......especially on a truck with 230,000 miles