Aloha to all new meat here.

Woody

I am tired of burning cds to scratch an break on the road i plan on hooking an inexpensive 50w amp to the speakers (25w per channel, most factory speakers) and running a stero jack to my IPOD shuffle or any type of walkman. Eventually I want to upgrade the speakers and add a sub. Has anyone tried a mod tike this? If so what were the results?

not sure, but I don't think the Ipod is going to put out a proper voltage for the amp. Nominal headphone voltage is somewhere around 2.5v if I recall correctly. Preamps put out 4. Best bet, go and find a cheap HU with an aux in. I had one that I found at wal-mart (the evil) that was 25 bucks. I mounted it in a premade sub box with a gel cell battery to make a portable boombox for my Sat radio.

Durabrand I think. It sucked, but it did have an Aux in, and I was broke.

I'd either do as said above and get a cheap stereo with a AUX input. Or get an FM modular for your Ipod (if they make one) I've got one for my Creative Labs zen xtra MP3 player and it works great just plays over a preset radio station. The plus side to doing it this way is if you have multiple vechiles you can just grab it and take it with you in all of them. The negative is sometimes if your traveling and the station gets stronger it will try to play the radio instead of you mp3 player and you have to tune to another station to get good sound.

I hadn't thought of the FM modulator route. Belkin makes a nice one that fits in a cupholder, it holds the iPod, charges it and trasmits. Nice piece of kit, but it's like $79. There are cheaper ones to be had, you could even get a generic radiohack one for $25.