Fuel Guage pegged full

Nearly constantly my fuel gauge reads full. When off, it's just below full. When I turn on, it goes a bit above. I can't seem to get the dash out cause of the speedo cable and I can't get anything back there to unhook it.

Is there anything not behind the dash that'd cause this? Maybe it's a ground? I'm not familiar with MJ's and their electrical gremlins and places, mostly just YJs.

can you remove the speed cable from the transmission or tc? that may give you the slack needed

Might be worth a shot. Is the ground wire for the pump back there, as I figure that might be the issue? Or is it re-located? I know on the YJ it grounds on the parking brake assembly (WTF, right?).

can you remove the speed cable from the transmission or tc? that may give you the slack needed

Might be worth a shot. Is the ground wire for the pump back there, as I figure that might be the issue? Or is it re-located? I know on the YJ it grounds on the parking brake assembly (WTF, right?).

not sure where the ground wire would be

Anyone else have insite exactly where this ground is or where to trace it? I think it's behind the drivers side tail light, but I cleaned it up and nothing happened. Does it ground directly onto the sender unit or does it ground out on the tank? Resources I'm finding are all different.

You should be able to pull/push enough of the speedo cable through the fire wall to unclip it from the back of the gauge cluster... May have to push from underneath too... :wrench:

What do I need to do behind the dash to get the fuel gauge working though? If it's a pegging issue to the full, it's usually ground, right? Is there some ground stuff to do behind the dash?

mine was like that when i got it and found chafed wires behind the seat. the seat mount when it was put in from the factory actually pinched the wires and just took 13 years for it to become the prob ,not sure it is the same but good place for you to check.

Any easier way than pulling out the seat and pulling up all the carpet? I can't really pull out the carpet since I got a big rusthole I'm trying to get fixed and the carpet is the only part keeping my foot from falling out.