New Guy: Timing Belt

Hi. I just picked up an 88 Comanche Base with the 4 cylinder 150 2.5 TBI-Manual Four Speed. The body is straight; the interior is about a 7 out of a possible 10. It needs the basics: tune up-tires brakes, paint job. It runs great though. I went 60 mph all the way home on the Interstate. The truck has 160k on the odometer. My question is does my motor have a timing belt, or chain? This may sound idiotic, but I do have to get it changed right? I did a search on the MJ Tech forum for 2.5 Timing Belt, but I kept coming up with some post about Frankenstein or something. Nevertheless,I have learned so much just by reading the site. You guys are the best. :wrench: :help:

Yes, 2.5 uses a timing chain. These are not regular maintenance items on our motors like they are on some cars with belts. It's not necessary to change them every 50k or so. Unless your specifically know you need a new one, or are redoing everything else on the motor anyway, it's not worth the trouble. The worst part about changing it is getting everything to seal correctly when putting the timing cover back on.

Also, if the chain feels loose(say, you notice it takes way too long for the dizzy to turn when turning the motor by hand), on a 2.5 it could easily be the tensioner.

Yes, 2.5 uses a timing chain. These are not regular maintenance items on our motors like they are on some cars with belts. It's not necessary to change them every 50k or so. Unless your specifically know you need a new one, or are redoing everything else on the motor anyway, it's not worth the trouble. The worst part about changing it is getting everything to seal correctly when putting the timing cover back on.

Also, if the chain feels loose(say, you notice it takes way too long for the dizzy to turn when turning the motor by hand), on a 2.5 it could easily be the tensioner.

Brilliant. You told me everything I need to know. :cheers: