Thinking of going bigger

When I bought my commanche, I was told it had a 3" lift. It doesn't have blocks, spacers, or shackles...so it must be front and rear springs lift. Right now it sits on a set of Moab wheels with bald 245 mtr's. I need new tires and want to go a bigger but it looks to me that the 245 goodyears are as big as I can go without rubbing.

My questions are

1. Does this seem like a 3" lift?

2. How would you go about squeezing 33's without trimming

3. Can I go 33's without any other mods(driveshaft, brake lines, etc)

Thanks a bunch

1. Does this seem like a 3" lift?
Could be? Post up some pics of your lift components so we can see whatcha got. What size 245s do you have? There's almost an inch difference in diameter between 245/70s (29.50") and 245/75s (30.46")assuming a 16" rim. Add an inch for 17"s. http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalcul ... ion=submit

2. How would you go about squeezing 33's without trimming
Fitting 33s - easy, many ways to skin that cat, but to do it without trimming: In short, you don't.

3. Can I go 33's without any other mods(driveshaft, brake lines, etc)
You're crossing the XJ/MJ lift threshold to fit 33s. There's no "squeezing" 33s without trimming unless you go big on the lift- we're talking at least a 6" lift, but probably more. At that height and with 33s, You don't have to cut the fenders but they will rub at full turn and in compression,,,how bad do you want your new tires to be cut up by your fenders? Plus, its a major change to just about every suspension component and suspension geometry. Big $$$ to do correctly unless you're a fabricator and can make your own adjustable tack bar, control arms, drag link/tie rod, rear spring perches and extend your own driveshafts, then you've gotta buy longer brake lines, shocks, and other stuff. Consider thinner tires, they won't rub as much. 10.5" wide 33s won't rub as much as 12.5" 33s. Something else,,,,do you have a D44 or D35 rear axle? If its a D35, I'd stay away from 33s, it'll break.

What do you use the truck for? If its just for occasional offroading then you could get away with any gearing, but if you need to drive your truck in town or take longer trips down the highway, the 33s with stock gearing will kill your power and MPGs. Another reason to go with 32" or even 31" tires. Also, be sure to check the actual tire size,,,,a lot of the time, 33s (or any size for that matter) are 33s in name only and could actually be close to an inch larger or smaller depending on the manufacturer.

May I offer another option? 31" or 32" tires and at least a rear locker. An XJ/MJ with lockers and 32s will go just about anywhere and get you further down the trail than 33s and no lockers, plus they'll look pretty darn massive compared to 245s.

Go through the build pages to see how some the different rigs look with various tire sizes and lifts. FWIW, since you've got a small lift, I'd just go with 31s, throw a Lock-Rite or Aussie locker in the back, and get a winch. You'll be surprised where it'll go without dumping a ton of money on stuff you may not need.

Wow! Thanks for that response. I don't know where to start.

I have the d35 rear and mainly street drive. I do not want to trim on this truck. I have 245/75/16. I think I am going to stay with 31's after what I've read from you and some more research. I am looking at 265/75/16 bfg km2 and some new shocks. I have had good luck with bilstein in the past. Do they make a shock for the Comanche with up to 3" lift? If not what is a good all around shock?